Geoff Perry, SK

>From Jonathan's Space Report No. 418, 2000 Jan 19

Obituary
--------

Geoff Perry, the world renowned founder of the Kettering Group, died
suddenly in Cornwall on Jan 18 at the age of 72. Geoff, formerly a
physics teacher at Kettering Grammar School, taught his students to
track short wave radio signals from Soviet satellites, and eventually
established a world-wide network of experts who figured out what was
going on in the Soviet space program. He and his team came to public
prominence in 1966 with their independent discovery of the Plesetsk
launch site. I'm glad that Geoff lived long enough to see the
declassification of the former Soviet missions and discover that the
`answers in the back of the book' agreed for the most part with
his own
sleuthing, but I'll miss his insight and comprehensive knowledge.

----------

I first met Geoff at the AMSAT-UK Colloquium some years ago.  We
swapped
information on the various commercial LEO satellite systems that
were proposed
and/or made it into orbit.  Geoff and his colleague Max White
provided invaluable
of assistance by listening for (and hearing) the switch-on of
the Forte satellite
and the ORBCOMM satellites over the last three years.

As Jonathan McDowell states, his insight, knowledge and
encouragement will be
sorely missed.

Eric Rosenberg W3DQ
w3dq@amsat.org