Mir/ISS Stat 1/19/2000

Mir Amateur Radio Status: January 19, 2000

By Miles Mann WF1F,

Mir Status:
The Russian government is meeting this week to discuss the plans to
reactivate
the Mir Space Station.  If the funds are approved a new mission is
scheduled to
be launched in March /April 2000.  New crew members have been chosen
(Aleksander
 Kaleri and Sergei Zalogin (spelling?)).
The Russian Space Station Mir is currently un-manned and is flying on
remote control.
  All of the Amateur Radio experiments are currently disconnected.  The
tentative
plan, is to send a new crew to the Mir Space Station in March 2000.
When the new
crew moves into Mir, the Packet and SSTV station will be re-activated on
145.985 FM Simplex.

MAREX-NA on ISS
The new MAREX-NA SpaceCam1 software has just arrived in Moscow and is
being reviewed.
 One of the ISS cosmonauts who is familiar with the MAREX-NA projects
said he is
looking forward to seeing a demonstration of the new SSTV software.
The MAREX-NA Group is currently working on our next generation of Slow
Scan TV for
 the International Space station.  Work on the SSTV project is well
under way. The
 new SpaceCam1 SSTV system will be a PC (laptop) software based system,
with more
features than the previous Mir SSTV System.

Mir Crew Suggestions:
1.They wanted to be able to automatically save images received from
Earth on
a PC disk for viewing at a later date.
2.The ability to transfer images from a Digital Still Image camera into
the
SSTV system (SLIDE SHOW mode Live Camera or pre save Disk images).
3.The ability to automatically repeat the same image many times (BEACON
mode).

The new MAREX-NA SSTV SPACECAM1 system for ISS will have all of
these features and more.
The hardware configuration of the SSTV system will consist of a VHF/UHF
transceiver, a Russian Lap-Top PC and an Audio isolation switch box.
The new SpaceCam1 proposal will support both USB cameras and composite
RS-170
video input connections. The specific cameras for the project have not
been
chosen at this time.

Other proposed features:
Repeater Mode
In the Repeater mode, Earth stations will be able to use the SpaceCam1
as a SSTV repeater.
You will be able to send SSTV images to SpaceCam1 and then a few seconds
later
SpaceCam1 will re-broadcast the same image back to Earth.  The repeated
image,
will also be saved to a JPG file on the SpaceCam1 PC.

Digital Camera:
The ISS crew will have Digital Still image cameras.  These cameras can
store the
images in a format which can be read by the SpaceCam1 program.  The ISS
crew will
have the option of coping the images into the SpaceCam1 computer.  This
will allow
the people on Earth to see the crews latest pictures they have taken in
other parts
of the space station.

ISS Launch Status:
The next module if the ISS is called the Service Module (Zvezda's).
This module is
tentatively scheduled to fly next June/July 2000.  If this launch is on
schedule,
then the First ISS crew with Sergei Krikalev U5MIR will fly to ISS in
August or September.

Mir QSL Update:
The card proofs have been sent to Energia/MAREX-RU for final approval.
A minor
typographical error was found  on the draft card by the Energia team and
we are
working on the correction. We hope to send the final card to the
printers in January 2000.
Note:  We are currently out of QSL cards for the Mir Amateur Radio
program.  The
MAREX-NA team has designed a new Mir QSL card which is currently in the
hands of
the printer. I  would like to thank you all for being patient on getting
your QSL
cards.  We hope to begin shipping the new cards in Q1 2000.

The MAREX-NA web page has moved to a new location.
We will try to keep the page updated with the latest Mir and ISS
amateur radio experiments.

http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex

Copyright 2000 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved.  This document may be
freely distributed
via the following means - Email (including listservers), Usenet, and
World-Wide-Web.
It may not be reproduced for profit including, but not limited to, CD
ROMs, books,
and/or other commercial outlets without prior written consent from the
author.
Images received from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space
Station Mir are
considered public domain and may be freely distributed, without prior
permission.

DOSVIDANIYA Miles WF1F