Re: Beam Headings for the Birds

Right.  Here's another KISS answer.

Draw a straight line from you to any satellite within view.

Now find the point on the Earth directly below the satellite and plot that point
on a map of the Earth.

Draw a line on the map of the Earth from you to that point on the Earth directly
below the satellite.

Your straight line to the satellite is now projected onto the map of the Earth
as a great circle route.

The azimuth to the satellite is the same azimuth to the point below the
satellite.  Which is why in a tracking program, the shortest distance to that
point below the satellite is in the same direction as the satellite.

>  > circle route from my location (Chicago), yet drawing on a map, west is not
>  > in a straight line to the bird.

What kind of map projection are you using?  The line could be straight or
curved, depending on the map projection.  On a rectangular projection, like what
most tracking programs use, a great circle route is not always a straight line.

Rob
N7LV