Re: P3D Launcher Vehicles

Jon,

I think the answer is pretty simple. At the time the launch decision was
made, the Ariane 5 was the most readily available CHEAP ride into space. At
the time it had not yet flown, and we (Amsat) had been promised an
inexpensive ride on one of the early test flights. All engineering
decisions in the early stages of the satellite design, therefore,  were
geared to the assumption that we would ride the Ariane 5 to orbit. While
it's possible to change launchers at a later date, a lot of additional work
would be necessary to accommodate the change (example: the support
structure (SBS) for the P3D satellite in the rocket payload bay). At this
point (with the satellite completed), it's just wise to wait for the launch
vehicle we always planned on.....

John KA1JMF