Beam Headings for the Birds

OK

Here's a question perplexing me for some time:

Does the RF signal path to and from the birds follow a "Great Circle" route
or not?  For example. when I see a bird south of Hawaii my tracking program
says to point the antennas West.  This would be pretty much akin to a great
circle route from my location (Chicago), yet drawing on a map, west is not
in a straight line to the bird.

I understand the concept of the great circle routes for HF propagation.  But
a satellite is above the surface of the earth so why would the signal still
follow the great circle route?

Any comments?

73,

Jon