Re: Another interesting use for RS-13

Richard,

At 02:01 PM 01/18/2000 -0600, Richard Allen wrote:
>RS-13 set here in the north at 19:25 today.  As it crossed
>over the polar region and across the nothern Russian border
>at 19:40 at 65N 49E it was 35 degrees below the horizon here
>and peaking s7 with an auroral flutter.  I was still copying as
>it passed Moscow to the east, then between the Caspian and
>Aral seas.  It finally faded as it crossed the Iranian border at
>19:48 after 23 minutes of below horizon copy.  Amazing stuff!

Certainly amazing phenomenon!  Thanks for sharing your experiment with us.

I have been an armchair participant in several anomalous propagation
experiments using OSCAR as a source.

Many times it is possible to predict enhanced HF conditions by working a
mode J or B bird.  Whenever there is heightened geomagnetic activity, a
distinct auroral flutter, can be heard on the downlink signal.

Often I can tell when there is a VHF band opening or enhancement by
detecting a strong attenuation of my uplink signal.  The same phenomenon
which causes signals to propagate on a terrestrial path, will also affect a
path which makes 2 trips through the same area of the ionosphere.

Another phenomenon I listen for on a regular basis, but have not been able
to document, is the antipodal effect.  RS-13 and RS-15 signals (supposedly)
can be detected when the subsatellite point is antipodal to your QTH.  That
is, when the satellite is directly under you, instead of straight overhead.

I have tracking points on my tracking maps for my antipodal
point.  Whenever I see one of these birds approaching this point, I scan
for a signal.

If there is anyone "listening" who has experienced this phenomenon, I would
like to hear about it.  Also, since this phenomenon seems to correlate with
solar maximum, are we just talking about a multi-hop propagation
phenomenon?  What about reports that the signals can be S9 +60 dB at times?

I am looking forward to the launch of Jawsat, and what we will learn from
the ionization experiments aboard.

Godspeed Minuteman!

73, Mike

                                        __\/__
  |  P  | |f|   * I.S. Professional .............. Computer Consultant *
  |  3  |=|d|   * AO10, AO27, Fujis, RS13, RS15, MIR?, SO35, UO22, ATV *
  |  D  | |j|   * KITSAT,  kf4fdj-9 van tracker, SSTV, MS,  E&F Layers *
  |     | | |   *    Bringing Oscar demos to the Lee County Schools.   *
                                   .oooO   (   )
                                     \_)