VARACTOR MIXER

I remember in the early 70's that we used high power varactor diodes to
build high level transmit mixers.  I may have an application that needs to
mix an existing transmitter with a few watt LO to get a few watts at a 3rd
frequency.

Does anyone have experience with these circuits and biasing?  And
especially, do you know of a source for these diodes?  Thanks...

bob