Re: Cushcraft 738XB

Joel, gang

> Once I got the box apart, I noticed a white
> powdery substance all over the circuit board.

I recall a warning some years ago - some white powders in electronic
situations can be *really* nasty (carcinogenic, loss of manhood, or
other things equally dire).

I'm talking about cadmium corrosion. As I recall it needs cadmium plated
metallic components, something organic (also found in transformer and
other insulating/weatherproofing laquers), and warmth. (My case entailed
making a "clean" area and decontaminating a couple of hundred PSUs.)

The symptom is a white powder "growing" out of the (cadmium plated) metalwork.
Don't touch it; or, if you do, wash hands etc. Beware of putting fingers
near mouth, eyes, and/or any other body apertures.

The cure is to wear rubber gloves and wipe the growth away with a damp
cloth and later, when its dry, apply varnish or laquer to all the metal
surfaces.

Doubtless theres chemists and medical folks who might comment further.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org
FOC # 1188