	From:  Gary "Joe" Mayfield [SMTP:gary_mayfield@hotmail.com]
	Sent:  Tuesday, January 11, 2000 5:51 PM
	To:  Dave D'Epagnier; amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org; 'Thomas Webb'
	Subject:  Re: [amsat-bb] FiberOptic Satcomm

	Dave,

	    When ever bandwidth is available there seems to be a use for it.
Fiber
	is just an easy way to run all of that data (voice, cw radio
control, rotor
	control, video, etc.) to the 'mast'.  I mentioned before a LAN cable
could
	probably used as well if the run is not too long (there is almost no
limit
	to the length for a fiber).  A Local Area Network 'LAN' type
connection
	could even be replaced with a broadband microwave link (finally a
use for
	those $20.00 gunplexers) to a better location for antenna
installation.  The
	fiber connection I envision is not expensive at all.  It would be
cheaper
	than multiple runs of expensive coax, and much easier to work with.

	73,
	Joe