Re: Fiber Optic Information

----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Brandel <KG4CGP@arrl.net>
To: Jon Ogden <jono@enteract.com>; Ryan K. Brooks <ryan@inc.net>; Joel B.
Black <jbblack@mindspring.com>
Cc: AMSAT BB <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2000 10:51 AM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Fiber Optic Information

> We do this stuff in CATV all the time at bandwidths up to 800 MHz, it's
> called Fiber Nodes,
>
> Essentially, Baseband TV signal (Composite audio/Video for a given
channel)
> to a Modulator to put it at the frequency or channel you really want it
on,
> then combine the signals to a series of channels, then into a Fiber
> Transmitter at the "shack" to convert the Channelized RF to Fiber Optic
> Signals, Send over Single Mode Fiber cable (usually a single fiber at 1550
> nM) to a Fiber Receiver or Node, the node has the amplification within in

In our applications with fiber (OC-12 [12 DS-3's down to individual hub
connections we use a multitude of SM and MM - MM in-plant, SM for long-haul.
This is not my forte, but it is my understanding that we use laser
transmitters for SM and LED transmitters for MM.  Is this true throughout
the industry?