	From:  Thomas Webb [SMTP:tmwebb@ionet.net]
	Sent:  Tuesday, January 11, 2000 4:11 PM
	To:  amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
	Subject:  [amsat-bb] FiberOptic Satcomm

	I've noticed folks have been discussing putting RF through fiber
optic
	cable; can't be done!  Fiber optic cable is made of glass and is
	nonconductive.  What you would do with fiber optic is remote a
transceiver
	from the shack to the top of the tower ala the IC-901.  It's an
outstanding
	concept!  The control head in the shack; a fiber optic cable to the
	mast-mounted xcvr which could be ten's or hundred's of feet away;
and a
	short run of coax.  This would allow a 2.4GHz xcvr; no converter
required.
	5 and 10GHz activity would also be a piece of cake.  Now all we need
to do
	is convince the Kenwood/Icom/Yaesu folks of the wisdom of this idea
and
	we're in business!

	Tom Webb, WA9AFM