FiberOptic Satcomm

I've noticed folks have been discussing putting RF through fiber optic
cable; can't be done!  Fiber optic cable is made of glass and is
nonconductive.  What you would do with fiber optic is remote a transceiver
from the shack to the top of the tower ala the IC-901.  It's an outstanding
concept!  The control head in the shack; a fiber optic cable to the
mast-mounted xcvr which could be ten's or hundred's of feet away; and a
short run of coax.  This would allow a 2.4GHz xcvr; no converter required.
5 and 10GHz activity would also be a piece of cake.  Now all we need to do
is convince the Kenwood/Icom/Yaesu folks of the wisdom of this idea and
we're in business!

Tom Webb, WA9AFM