	From:  Jon Ogden [SMTP:jono@enteract.com]
	Sent:  Tuesday, January 11, 2000 8:01 AM
	To:  Ryan K. Brooks; Joel B. Black
	Cc:  AMSAT BB
	Subject:  Re: [amsat-bb] Fiber Optic Information

	on 1/10/00 22:55, Ryan K. Brooks at ryan@inc.net wrote:

	> What do you mean by "feedline"... obviously not for RF...  do you
mean for
	> rotor
	> control?  If so, should be no problem... even indoor multimode
stuff is
	> incredibly tough.   If it's not tough enough, go to a riser-rated
version.

	Well, you could have a fiber optic feedline for your voice or data
	communications link as well.  You would need a fiber to RF converter
at the
	antenna.  It's not a half bad idea as you would basically be able to
convert
	your received RF directly to fiber and then you'd be able to receive
in the
	shack with virtually no loss.  You'd just need a receiver in the
shack
	capable of taking and converting from fiber back to RF so you can
listen or
	talk on your rig.  They do stuff like this in the commercial
industry.  I've
	not seen it for ham stuff but it could be done.

	73,

	Jon
	KE9NA

	The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

	Jon Ogden

	jono@enteract.com
	www.qsl.net/ke9na