Re: Welcome to AMSAT-EDU

Dear Steven,

First of all thank you very much for you concern !
Sorry for replying so late but time hasn't been too much with
our university's exams period ! :(
The main reason for which I subscribed this mailing list is the same of my
friend and coleague Vitor Silva - CT1FSC.

We've recently foundated the ARIST - the Radioamateur Association of our
University - Instituto Superior Tecnico and assembled a small LEOSAT earth
station together with the IT - Telecommunication Institute, which is the
non-profit investigation entity responsible for this area at the IST.

Our first goal is to cooperate with scientifical and educational
institutions trying to proof the radio amateur capabilities as an
educational science.

We are also involved in some governamental projects with the Science and
Technological Ministry such as the SIMSAT project, involving ballons,
tracking using GPS, TNC, APRS, beacons an so on !

Other projects include hamradio demonstration among youngsters in
high-schools and a RADIO EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM developed together with our
National Amateur Association - REP.

It is important to be able to relate our amateur radio technology to
communications and that is the message we are trying to transmit to our
teachers, engineers, coleagues, teachers, governament, etc.They seem
no to understand that much of the technology used in communications today
was invented by amateur radio operators.

We are willing to cooperate with simillar projects around the world,
speccially with the AMSAT ones as we are very interested on satellites.

Looking forwards to hear from you and all the ones on this list.

ARMANDO FONSECA - CT1GUV

(ARIST's Chairman)