"new" cheap S-band downconverter

Happy 2000!

I read on the bb a few days ago that someone had "missed out on the Drake
2880s, and if that is true , what a shame!

However, all is definitely not lost.... I bought a box of California
Amplifier PN 130472 downconverters at a hamfest last year for about $8
apiece, and have successfully converted one to 144 MHz IF by simple crystal
change. Works as well as the 2880, as far as I can see. This unit is designed
to be mounted in a Conifer, etc, 2x3 parabolic reflector, has a built-on feed
in a plastic radome. Almost totally cool.

Seems that the xtal oscillator wants series resonant crystals, as a crystal
which is on the nose for the Drake is 400 KHz off in the C.A. unit.

I have a free one and a crystal for 440 MHz IF for anyone who will convert
the PLL to work right on that xtal frequency and show me how to do it.

Mike, W1BFN