Re: Dualband HT info

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Scott E. Olitsky asked about the THD7 APRS/Packet HT:

> Can it be used for any packet type operations at all on the birds?
> I will be in Vietnam this year for a few weeks and would love to be able to
> uplink a short message that could be sent back home through email

Yes/No.  Until we get some APRS digipeaters in space (Like MIR or SAREX or
ISS), then you cannot send messages with the HT.  What you can do is
capture the downlink and any/all messages that someone else is reading.
We have thought about how to deliver PACSAT Messages to such HT travelers
as you with only the HT and there are several thougts:

1) Put messge "essence" in PACSAT SJUBECT line.  Then you can see short
   messages like "Call Home", "Early return not needed, ENjoy", etc
   since the PACSAT Directory is frequently repeoated in the downlink.
2) Have a few dedicated "Trigger" stations that will search the PACSAT
   directory for APRS messages and request a download on each pass
   while you are in the wilderness.  Then your complete message will
   be in the downlink.  But these Trigger stations must be in the same
   footprint (probably not in Vietnam). But would work over USA etc...
3) Enable some of the new Satellites soon to be in space as APRS UI frame
   digipeaters for relay of such 1 line APRS messages to such travelers..
   Then we have worldwide APRS 2-way text message capability to HT's!

> scott

APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

Reply mail addr:   wb4apr@amsat.org
US mail address:   115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
See DAYTON97 HISTORY:    http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
See Maryland APRS LIVE:  http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
See GPS on ANY radio:    http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html