Re: Dualband HT info

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Scott E. Olitsky wrote:

> I am looking for a new HT that will allow me to work ao-27 and so-35.  What
> HT's are people using that allow full crossband duplex, etc?

Many will do.  But consider The Kenwood THD7.

Not only does it inlcude a BUILT-IN TNC for APRS 1200 baud
terrestrial packet (almost nationwide 2-way text messaging built in) but
it also has a built in 9600 Baud TNC for satellite downlink!

Thus, only the HT and a laptop are needed to RECEIVE the 9600 baud PACSAT
downlinks.  ALso, whenever SAREX flies or any other 1200 baud SPace
digipeater, you can use the Kenwood THD7 to send and receive APRS messages
via the satllite from the palm of your hand!

The radio will oeprate full duplex for voice which is perfect for AO27 and
SO35.  The only thing it wont do (No other HT will either) is operate full
duplex IN 9600 baud PACKET mode.  Thus, you cannot use it as a complete
PACSAT send/receive system, but can use it just fine at 9600 baud to
RECEIVE the packet downlink...