Re: Step-two

on 12/31/99 12:26 PM, Mike West at wl7bqm@gci.net wrote:

> OK, Now that the FCC has lower the barriers.  Maybe we can work on the AMA,
> and all the rest of the "You have to earn it crowd"
>
> My mom wanted a Doctor in the family, she got a chemist. Too many barriers
> like I had to go to school and learn things )
>
> So, lets start the new year off with lowering the standards for every thing.

You are comparing Apples and Oranges.

The FCC isn't lowering standards, it is changing what needs to be tested.
Morse code is no longer a technological standard nowadays.  Hams are the
only ones left that use it (virtually).  Is it fun?  Yes!  Can it work where
other modes can't?  YES!  Is it cutting edge technology?  No!

To bring your analogy into focus, medical exams and requirements are ALWAYS
kept up to date with technology.  If some new procedure or vaccination
replaces an older one, they aren't going to require knowledge on that older
information.  Physicians no longer administer ether as an anesthetic.  Just
because ether was once used doesn't mean that medical students should still
be tested on its use.  Physicians at one time "bled" people.  Do that today
and you'd have a lawsuit.  Just as medical science has changed over the
years, communication science has as well.  If you want to use a mode of
communication that is non-cutting edge, by all means do so.  I do.  But I
don't think that 20 wpm is necessary to allow someone to talk in the lower
25 kcs of the ham bands!

So I guess you could say that since med students no longer have to study how
to "bleed" a patient or how to administer ether that we HAVE lowered our
standards.

Jon
KE9NA

--