Re: Amateur License restructuring announcement.

on 12/31/99 5:57 AM, John Stone at jstone@sofnet.com wrote:

> Let's be honest about it too, the code requirement does and should act as a
> barrier to entry. No one wants to see HF become a glorified CB domain.

You CANNOT say that Morse code requirements prevent HF from becoming a
glorified CB domain.  I am in the pro-Morse code camp, but I am becoming
SICK and TIRED of these same old tired arguments by people who refuse to
look any farther than the nose on their face.

Any night, go down to the upper end of 80 meters and give a listen.  You'll
hear tons of CB like stuff.  All the guys there PASSED THEIR CODE!  Think of
it.  People who passed code tests operating like idiots?  Sheesh.  I didn't
think that could happen.  Why, even most of the FCC enforcement actions
recently taken have been against hams who have PASSED the code.  I don't see
many enforcement actions taken against Techs.  Sure they have been a few,
but the majority are against those who are "in the club."

So get off it!  Two meters didn't turn into 11 meters when we got no-code.
Nor did 6 meters or 432 or 1296 or 902.

The CB crap is even spilling out onto 160 meters now.  AND ALL OF THE PEOPLE
OPERATING IN THOSE BANDS PASSED THE CODE TESTS!

The argument doesn't hold water!!!

Jon
KE9NA

--