RE: Recent FCC Action

Bill,

The Amateur Extra Class License is not "now worthless" just because its 20
WPM code requirement was reduced to 5 WPM. Those who can't master code at 20
WPM still have to pass the Extra written exam.
Yes- earlier Extra's had to work hard to master 20 WPM, but CW (which is
still a great mode to use) is not the only mode that we have to operate. FCC
restructuring is simply making it much easier for individuals to upgrade to
higher licenses and higher privileges - with code no longer being a
demanding requirement. Who knows, maybe it will get a lot of individuals
re-interested in Amateur Radio. And remember, those of who can send and copy
at 20 WPM plus - still can enjoy having a QSO with another ham who can also
copy and send at similar speeds.
Best analogy to this  restructuring is the fact that when I earned my Ph.D
in EE back in 1970 , it was necessary to demonstrate the ability to read and
translate scientific articles in two foreign languages. Scientific Russian
took me about a year to learn. Today- no one has to pass any foreign
language exams to earn a Ph.D in engineering.

Happy New Year, and All the Best in Y2K.
Jim, N6MV