Re: Amateur License restructuring announcement.

On Thursday, 30 December 1999, Gary Persons wrote:

> lets face it, code is all but dead.

Huh?  Did you listen during the CW weekend of Sweepstakes last month?
It was wall to wall Gary.  Same goes for CQWW, ARRL International DX,
etc.  Did you ever notice why most DXpeditions seem to make more CW
contacts than SSB?  Did you ever wonder why?  There's a definate
reason.  CW dead?  Hardly.

> However, with modern technology
> being what it is, do we really need code?

  /1/  CW is the most efficient mode for weak signal work such as
       DXing and VHF/UHF.
  /2/  Many 3rd World Countries use simple equipment with only CW
       capability.  To promote international good will through our
       hobby, I feel it's important for us to be able to communicate
       with amateurs in those parts of the world.
  /3/  An Op can take pride in being proficient in a mode that
       actually takes skill (unlike all the microphone jockeys we
       have on the air).
  /4/  Besides, IT'S JUST PLAIN F-U-N.

And that's why many of us need code.  That's my story and I'm sticking
to it.  :-)

Happy New Year to you and everyone on the list.  Now, can we get back to
the business at hand?  SATS!!!

73 Garie  *K8KFJ*