Re: Amateur License restructuring announcement.

Some of us are really happy about this.  I have tried off and on, (mostly
on) spending hundreds of hours trying to get up to 13 WPM, for
about the last 12 years.

Ham radio convinced me to become a EE, and work for a radio company (on
state of the art radios!!!).

It has led me on a path to have a comfortable life doing work I enjoy.

I have brought about 10 others into the hobby.  All of them are them
are extremely bright (read: Engineers, Computer Scientists and Scientists).
A couple of them are actually active.  None
of them ever got interested enough to pass a 13 WPM test.  All would
make fine HF ops.  I could have brought 30 more people into the hobby
if the Morse requirements were not so strict.  (I was the president
of the "Rose-Tech Radio Club" at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology for 2
years, and VP for a year, when I was in college.)

Many of these people work in communication related companies now also-- I'd
like to think I influenced that.  I think I now can talk
some of them into upgrading.

All of you code enthusiasts, please, instead of writing complaints,
try to help and encourage us "slowcoders" to learn the code.  It isn't easy
for some of us.  I've been called "lazy" so many times for not getting my
code up over about 9 WPM that I have considered quitting the hobby several
times.  I really can't-- I love it too much.

I *can* operate CW-- just I have to think about it a little.  In the
10-m contest I was part of a multi-op station.  No one was sending at
less than 20 WPM in the CW section.  We did do some CW operating-- it
took two or three of us multiple times to get the reports.  (The other
guys were Advanced class ops.) Maybe if you guys would slow down
occasionally, some of us newbie might think it is possible to communicate
with other hams without less than a couple years study at the PC first.  It
would be really nice.  Even the CW on the novice bands usually fly.  I could
complete a contact at 8 WPM..HOWEVER 90%
of the ops out there are not patient enough to work a beginner.

I am going to probably become an Extra class (I'm a pre-1987 Technician, and
I've passed the Advanced and Extra writtens twice, and never got the
high-speed code) within a month of April 15th-- and I'd like to become a
VE..  I've devoted my life to radio, and honestly I don't care if you CW
fanatics think I deserve the privledges or not.  I do... and the FCC does
now also...  and it is about time.

I just hope that we can get some more of the technical folks like the
ones that I work with that have held off for so many years in getting
licensed because of the code into the hobby.  Anyone of these people
could devise something that will revolutionize ham radio....

Fred Spinner, W0FMS

fred@spinner.org