Re: Amateur License restructuring announcement.

Gary,
I agree it will be good for the hobby.  I do not agree code is dead.  As
anecdotal evidence:  according to ARRL statistics, the CW contests have more
log entries than the phone contests.  To address your question about do we
really need code:  at 1425 this morning I completed an AO-10 QSO with JA7MJ
on CW with signals so weak I had to strain to hear the dits--and lost even
those in the fades.  There is no other (amateur radio) technology available
to me that would have allowed that conversation to take place other than CW.

Regardless, this was a bold move by the FCC in face of the resistance from
the ARRL, but it will pave the wave for world-wide adoption of easier upgrade
paths in the next IARU session.

73,
Jerry, K5OE