Re: Not so stupid question

> > Is there any offset for elevation?
>
> No. I heard of magnetic north; never heard of magnetic "up" though.

I realize there was some humor involved here, but actually, the programs that
will give you your magnetic deviation (I have one I got from NOAA on my home
page...   http://www.megalink.net/~wejones/pgeomag3.exe )
ask you for an altitude, which affects the results, so maybe there IS a
"magnetic UP"  :-) .  I at first thought that this meant elevation above sea
level, but I think it means above ground level, because it seems to work
properly only if I enter zero.
   Anyway, it may make a difference if you are in an airplane, but not for an
antenna, unless you take your compass reading at the top of a REALLY tall
antenna.   :-)

  I like the moon idea, but I prefer the sun. There are tables at
http://riemann.usno.navy.mil/AA/data/docs/AltAz.html
 (and many computer programs will give this too)
that give you the azimuth of the sun for any time of day.  I usually just find
what time the azim is 180 and go look at the direction that the shadows are
falling, and that is north.