From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of Bob Bruninga
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 1999 1:39 PM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Cc: TAPR APRS Special Interest Group
Subject: [amsat-bb] Radio Control via Internet

Question.  Has anyone figured out how to connect the ICOM Radio Control
software to TCPIP? (or kenwood for that matter)

In setting up the Naval Academy Satellite Lab, I can connect just about
any satellite-TNC or RS-232 controllable radio to a TCP-IP address.

We have an ICOM IC-PCR1000 radio that we want to make available as part of
our "linked ground station" concept to other remote users when needed.
Hooking the RECEIVER to the TCPIP address via a 38.8 serial port is
trivial.  But how do you take the ICOM control software at the other end
and tell it to talk via TCPIP instead of via the RS232 port?

I notice that ICOM curently makes this software downloadable...
   ( http://www.icomamerica.com )

Maybe someone just has to write a new control program?

Note:  we had several ground stations linked via the internet when MIR was
operational, but all the other satellites currently need tracking
antennas, and so we dont leave everything running.  But our goal is to
have a ground station for all amaterur satellites that can be remotely
controllled and operated by other schools or satellite control teams on
demand.

Our LAB:    http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/satstation.html

de WB4APR, Bob