Re: fo-20 contacts and ect.

Alan,

At 03:41 AM 12/21/99 -0800, ke6qis@juno.com wrote:
>  ah guys.... ( kf4fdj, va3cgi, w0oqc) what up down pair are you guys
>running?
>doppler on the up and down? (fo-20 pass dec 21, 99  03:10 pst).
>  the reason i ask is apearantly i found you by chance and it was hard to
>keep up
>with you on manual. i would like to enter it in so i can get in on the
>net if you
>dont mind (i hope).
>  i am a night owl here so its 3 am when you guys are on and i up.
>  p.s.  qsl pse? thanks.

FO20 has an inverting linear transponder.  You were there on your
transmissions.  The ability to keep up with a multi-operator QSO is an
acquired skill.

We all tune the downlink, and only tune the transmit a little when it's our
turn to talk.

It works sort of like this:

If you have the ability to lock your uplink and downlink frequencies
together, go somewhere in the upper part of the passband, and tweak your
transmit until you find your own signal.  Leave the frequencies locked
together and tune in the passband until you find our Breakfast Club
group.  Zero beat our signal, and unlock your frequencies, so they track
separately.

At this point you should be able to tune your receive frequency to follow
the QSO.  Announce your call when there is a break, or just make a little
noise, we will hear you and usually listen for other operators breaking.

When the microphone is passed back to you, you will probably have to tweak
your transmit frequency a little to zero beat your own signal so it sounds
natural where the other operator was in the passband.  Once you zero beat
your signal, leave the transmit alone and only tune your receive
frequency.  This is the acquired skill.

Did you notice how well, K5VAS, W0OQC, and VA3DGR stayed together during
the QSO?  By following this routine, they were able to drift together in
the passband, and usually have their own signal zero beat on pass of the
microphone during the first word or so of their transmission.

Since our rate of Doppler shift is different, especially on the 70cm
downlink, it would be hard to tell you an exact frequency pair, but as a
rule, these pairs will get you in the ballpark.  You will usually find us
during morning passes on FO20, somewhere right above the middle of the
passband.  This frequency table also applies to FO29 when in analog mode.

                 Working the Fujis!  (transponder is inverting!)

USB Down        435.800  810  820  830  840  850  860  870  880  890  435.900
                    |------|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|------|
LSB Up          146.000  990  980  970  960  950  940  930  920  910  145.900

73, Mike

                                        __\/__
  |  P  | |f|   * I.S. Professional .............. Computer Consultant *
  |  3  |=|d|   * AO10, AO27, Fujis, RS13, RS15, MIR?, SO35, UO22, ATV *
  |  D  | |j|   * KITSAT,  kf4fdj-9 van tracker, SSTV, MS,  E&F Layers *
  |     | | |   *    Bringing Oscar demos to the Lee County Schools.   *
                                   .oooO   (   )
                                     \_)