Re: Tuning conundrum

on 12/16/99 5:26 PM, nh6vb@juno.com at nh6vb@juno.com wrote:

> If you change the uplink frequency regardless if high
> or low you also changing the poor fellows receive on the other end.

That's not correct.  If your uplink frequency is the higher frequency (as on
AO-10) and you shift it ACCORDING TO THE DOPPLER SHIFT YOU HEAR ON RECEIVE,
then your receive frequency does NOT change.  So you are not necessarily
changing the other guys frequency since it is your downlink freq as well.

> Fun,
> isn't it ???. Now to the pro it does not matter much, he can follow
> without loosing too much of the QSO. But the hapless "newbie" who has a
> hard enough time to figure out what is going on, really gets messed up.
> So, as far as I am concerned I WILL ADJUST MY RECEIVE ONLY.

Well, then we will probably get messed up, won't we!  :-)

I fully agree with those who state the higher frequency should be changed as
it is the one most sensitive to doppler effects.

> And most of
> the world is doing the same.

You say you do it because "most" of the world is doing it.  Most hams have
poor operating practice.  If we all used that as our rule (do what "most"
hams are doing), all the bands would sound like 80 meters!

73,

Jon
KE9NA

--