Rocket Science

OK, gang. Here's one for the spacecraft hardware types out there. I've been
searching, but the answer so far has eluded me (I'm a doctor, dammit, not a
chemist!). I know they are specifically shuttle related, but the principles
are the same as other spacecraft.

The topic is hypergolic propellents. The shuttle OMS and RCS utilize
monomethylhydrazine (MMH) and nitrogen tetroxide (n2o4), which, when mixed,
ignite producing thrust. I have not been able to discover (even from some
NASA folks) what the reaction product(s) of MMH + N2O4 is(are).

I'm curious as this came up as a question on our Aerospace Medicine boards.

Another curiosity on a similar topic is my shuttle toxicology book lists
both hydrazine and monomethylhydrazine as shuttle hazards. I can only find
references to the MMH being onboard. Anyone know if there really is
hydrazine present and what shuttle system it's used for?

73, Keith

Keith E. Brandt, MD, WD9GET     || Goodbye, cruel world that was my home-
   Resident in Aerospace Medicine ||    there's cleaner space out here to roam.
San Antonio, TX                 || Put my feet up on the moons of Mars-
wd9get@amsat.org                ||    sit back, relax, and count the stars.
http://www.dca.net/~brandt      ||