RE: Newbie Questions - Can't find good answers anywhere

1.  Generally I tune MY receive frequency.  The main reason for this is
because your Doppler shift may not be the same as the person to whom you are
talking.  For the LEO sats like the RS series the bird may be moving away
from you and toward the other guy.  If you tune your transmit to make your
receive constant then he will have trouble keeping up.  If you tune only
your receive and keep your transmit constant then he only has to tune his
receive.
For the long period sats like AO-10 and Phase III (whenever it goes) then
you will tune your transmit to keep your receive constant because most
likely your received Doppler will be the same as the other guy's.

3.  Many "Amateur birds" are secondary payloads on commercial birds.  For
instance RS-12/13 is a secondary payload aboard a Cosmos 2123 navigation
satellite.

4. RS 13 is still alive and well (most of the time)
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/sats/n7hpr/satsum.html

73/
Kevin, WB5RUE
el09