Newbie Questions - Can't find good answers anywhere

Hi all,

Being a newbie to the birds, I have a couple of questions that have come up.
I have looked in a lot of the FAQs but haven't been able to find definitive
answers.  So I thought I'd join this list and ask here.

1.) What is the PROPER way to tune for doppler shift?  I have read somewhere
that you should tune the higher of the two frequencies.  I have tried to do
this.  But others don't.  It seems I hear some people tuning their TX
frequency only.  The manual to my FT-847 seems to indicate changing the TX
frequency and that is the way the radio is set up most easily as well.

So which do you tune?  TX?  RX?  or the upper frequency?  or the lower
frequency?

2.) A question on SO-35:  All the stuff I can see about it says it has a
"mode B" transponder.  To me this means SSB with a 70 cm uplink and a 2m
downlink.  Is it an SSB bird or is it a digital only bird?  Also, it's made
numerous passes over me in the last day and I have heard nothing.  Does it
have a funky schedule or something??

3.) Why are some "amateur" satellites in "non-amateur" modes (PoSAT for
example).  This doesn't sound too amateur to me!  What gives?

4.) Are there any more plans for any more LEO birds that have SSB
transponders like FO-20 and FO-29?  Are there plans for any SSB birds that
have higher orbits like RS-15 or even higher?

OK, that's it for now.

Thanks for letting me ask some possibly obvious questions.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

--