RE: Primestar

Bob,
At 10:54 AM 12/13/99 -0500, Bob Bruninga wrote:

>Are there some part15 rules that allow license-free microwatt emissions or
>whatever on these frequency bands?  With the gain of these dishes, even a
>few microwatts could make a usable pt-to-pt link.  Also with the 1 degree
>beamwidth, the chance of interferring with anyone else is near zero...?
>
>Now, how to generate a stable few microwatts at 12 GHz!
>
>----

12 GHz transmissions are not allowed for the purpose you ask as near as I
can determine.

However, the FCC has allocated unlicensed transmissions, for PTP microwave
on certain bands.  Here are the references:

Section 15.321  Specific requirements for asynchronous devices operating in
the 1910-1920MHz and 2390-2400 MHz bands.

Section 15.321  Specific requirements for asynchronous devices operating in the
                 1910-1920MHz and 2390-2400 MHz bands.

         (a)  Operation shall be contained within either or both the
1910-1920 MHz and 2390-2400 MHz bands.  The emission bandwidth of any
intentional radiator operating in these bands shall be no less than 500kHz.

         (b)  All systems of less than 2.5MHz emission bandwidth shall
start searching for an available spectrum window within 3 MHz of the band
edge at 1910, 1920, 2390, or 2400 MHz while systems of more than 2.5MHz
emission bandwidth will first occupy the center half of the band.  Devices
with an emission bandwidth of less than 1.0MHz may not occupy the center
half of the sub-band if other spectrum is available.

         (c)  Asynchronous devices must incorporate a mechanism for
monitoring the spectrum that its transmission is intended to occupy.  The
following criteria must be met:

                 (1)  Immediately prior to initiating a transmission,
devices must monitor the spectrum window they intend to use for at least 50
microseconds.

                 (2)  The monitoring threshold must not be more than 32dB
above the thermal noise power for a bandwidth equivalent to the emission
bandwidth of the device.

                 (3)  If no signal above the threshold level is detected, a
transmission burst may commence in the monitored spectrum window.  Once a
transmission burst has started, an individual device or a group of
cooperating devices is not required to monitor the spectrum window provided
the intraburst gap timing requirement specified below is not exceeded.

                 (4)  After completion of a transmission, an individual
device or cooperating group of devices must cease transmission and wait a
deference time randomly chosen from a uniform random distribution ranging
from 50 to 750 microseconds, after which time an attempt to access the band
again may be initiated.  For each occasion that an access attempt fails
after the initial inter-burst interval, the range of the deference time
chosen shall double until an upper limit of 12 milliseconds is
reached.  The deference time remains at the upper limit of 12 milliseconds
until an access attempt is successful.  The deference time is
re-initialized after each successful access attempt.

                 (5)  The monitoring system bandwidth must be equal to or
greater than the emission bandwidth of the intended transmission and shall
have a maximum reaction time less than 50xSQRT(1.25/emission bandwidth in
MHz) microseconds for signals at the applicable threshold level but shall
not be required to be less than 50microseconds.  If a signal is detected
that is 6dB or more above the threshold level, the maximum reaction time
shall be 35xSQRT(1.25/emission bandwidth in MHz) microseconds but shall not
be required to be less than 35microseconds.

                 (6)  The monitoring system shall use the same antenna used
for transmission, or an antenna that yields equivalent reception at that
location.

                 (7)  Devices that have a power output lower than the
maximum permitted under the rules may increase their detection threshold by
onedecibel for each onedecibel that the transmitter power is below the
maximum permitted.

         (d)  Emissions shall be attenuated below a reference power of 112
milliwatts as follows: 30 dB between the subband edges and 1.25 MHz above
or below the subband; 50dB between 1.25 and 2.5MHz above or below the
subband; and 60 dB at 2.5 MHz or greater above or below the
subband.  Compliance with the emissions limits is based on the use of
measurement instrumentation employing a peak detector function with an
instrument resolution bandwidth approximately equal to 1.0percent of the
emission bandwidth of the device under measurement.

         (e)  The frequency stability of the carrier frequency of
intentional radiators operating in this section shall be ±10ppm over 10
milliseconds or the interval between channel access monitoring, whichever
is shorter.  The frequency stability shall be maintained over a temperature
variation of -20o to +50o Celsius at normal supply voltage, and over a
variation in the primary supply voltage of 85 percent to 115 percent of the
rated supply voltage at a temperature of 20 degrees Celsius.  For equipment
that is capable of operating only from a battery, the frequency stability
tests shall be performed using a new battery without any further
requirement to vary supply voltage.

         (f)  An asynchronous transmission burst is a series of
transmissions from one or more transmitters acting cooperatively.  The
transmission burst duration from one device or group of devices acting
cooperatively shall be no greater than 10milliseconds.  Any intraburst gap
between cooperating devices shall not exceed 25microseconds.

         (g)  Operation of devices in the 2390-2400 MHz band from aircraft
while airborne is prohibited, in order to protect space research operations
at the National Astronomy and Ionospheric Center at Arecibo, Puerto Rico.

                                        __\/__
  |  P  | |f|   * I.S. Professional .............. Computer Consultant *
  |  3  |=|d|   * AO10, AO27, Fujis, RS13, RS15, MIR?, SO35, UO22, ATV *
  |  D  | |j|   * KITSAT,  kf4fdj-9 van tracker, SSTV, MS,  E&F Layers *
  |     | | |   *    Bringing Oscar demos to the Lee County Schools.   *
                                   .oooO   (   )
                                     \_)