RE: Primestar

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, Bill Jones wrote:

> Primestar shouldn't really be considered a minidish, because it uses a regular
> communications sat, however even if it was, the downlinks of the minidish sats
> are in the 12.2-12.7 GHz band, while the regular Ku sats like the one Primestar
> uses are 11.7-12.2 GHz.   The output of the LNBs for both minidish and regular
> TVRO are in the 950-1450 MHz range, which is the frequency that the receivers
> use...

I should know the answer to this question, but maybe someone else knows it
off hand...

Are there some part15 rules that allow license-free microwatt emissions or
whatever on these frequency bands?  With the gain of these dishes, even a
few microwatts could make a usable pt-to-pt link.  Also with the 1 degree
beamwidth, the chance of interferring with anyone else is near zero...?

Now, how to generate a stable few microwatts at 12 GHz!