New DIRECTV bird

Bill -

and here is a related announcement / press release from Thursday ....

Thursday, December 9, 1999

*DIRECTV Orders New Satellite. DIRECTV has ordered a new satellite from its
sister company Hughes Space and Communications. DIRECTV 4-S will be
DIRECTV's first satellite to use highly focused spot-beam technology
allowing DIRECTV to offer local TV stations to more cities. Unlike DIRECTV's
existing satellites, which transmit signals to the entire United States,
DIRECTV 4-S and its spots beams can transmit satellite signals to specific
locations. "Investing in spot beam technology will benefit our customers and
enable us to add additional local channels in markets we are already
servicing or plan to serve, as well as extend local channel services to
additional smaller markets," said Eddy W. Hartenstein, president of DIRECTV.
DIRECTV 4-S is scheduled for launch in late 2001 and will be positioned at
DIRECTV's primary orbital location of 101 degrees west.
Sounds like a nice orbital slot for the Houston AMSAT net channel !!!  :)

Greg Beat
w9gb