Re: ao-27 qsl confirm

Hi Jeff and group,

At 07:12 PM 11/27/99 -0600, Jeff Johns wrote:
>On Sat, 27 Nov 1999 11:08:45 -0800, ke6qis@juno.com wrote:
>
> >  haveing a heck of a time with the storm clouds copying the
> > bird (s 2-3) even with a 14el and 25db preamp but.....
>
>I have seen other people talk about not being able to copy AO-27 with heavy
>cloud cover, but even in fairly haevy rain I have been able to access the
>bird. Of course, I have looked pretty silly standing out in the rain, but
>it's fun :)

H/U/VHF satellite communication is subject to the same laws of physics
which govern terrestrial H/U/VHF communications.

Many times, from my experience, band openings coincide with difficulty in
working the satellites.  Tropospheric ducting can take your signal away
from the intended target, as well as steer the down link away from your
receive antenna.  An active E layer can reflect part of your signal back to
earth, making the satellite difficult to work.  Geomagnetic unsettling can
impart strange aural fluttering on the signals as they encounter charged
particles in the ionosphere.

The next time you encounter peculiar propagation on the satellites, check
out H/U/VHF terrestrial communications for some uncommon paths; a
bellwether may have "told" you so.

73, Mike

                                        __\/__
  |  P  | |f|   * I.S. Professional .............. Computer Consultant *
  |  3  |=|d|   * AO10,  AO27,  FO20, FO29,  RS13, RS15, MIR?, SO35,   *
  |  D  | |j|   * UO22, KITSAT,  APRS, SSTV,  ATV,  MS,  E&F Layers.   *
  |     | | |   *    Bringing Oscar demos to the Lee County Schools.   *
                                   .oooO   (   )
                                     \_)