Re: launch option??

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Richard W L Limebear wrote:

Richard,
 I was thinking more along the lines of we get this sucker nailed down,
then we turn around and offer any and all AMSAT groups (plus some of the
university groups that have helped us out in the past) a slot, kinda
like a sublease on an apartment. Maybe one group designs and builds
a payload dispenser, and lets everryone else know what the interface
standards are. With the payload this booster will have just ot LEO,
we could drop off an entire APRS constellation, and have room left
over for several dozen Microsat-class payloads as well. The catch
is, there's no central funding source, just anyone who can get a payload
together and get it ready in time gets a ride, and any slots that
don't make the cut get replaced by cement blocks.
Might not even be a bad idea to set aside space on the adaptor for
groups that can build a chunk of experimental hardware (like a new
type of CPU or a new design for a transponder) and allow them to
bolt it in place so that they can get iti into orbit for testing.
One thing's for sure, a ride this size isn't going to come up ever
couple of months, so even if we can't get a ton of money together,
ignoring the opportunity would be a bad idea.

Later,
Andy
WD9IYT