147.585 Leonid MS experiment.

For this years Leonid experiment and from here in Winston-Salem,NC I was beaconing my position and K5PK-2 call ever 10 seconds as recommended on the 2 meter 147.585 frequency using a KAM tnc and running 180 watts with a receive preamp and a PVC J-pole at 30 feet.  I have not yet gotten any reports of my own call being received but I have e-mailed one individual with good news.  W4GV-2 in grid EM70ef was displayed on my screen at 07:21z Nov.17.  He is located in Lynn Haven,FA which makes for a minimal 450 mile meteor scatter hop but certainly nothing to snicker at.  He reports that my observation of his beacon is the only one he has received, yet he discribes his station in what sounds to be an almost ideal meteor scatter setup.  During the peak times on the night of the 17th and 18th I was in the field under very dark skies and found that this years Leonid count was way down in the minimal shower category.  Judging from the many other reports I think we were just snake bit thi!
s year here in North America, It sounds as though Europe was the place to be.
73 de Steve
K5PK@amsat.org