RE: Leonids

These particles are all "orbiting" around each other in a swarm.  Surly
you've observed a swarm of gnats all buzzing around each other, think of the
meteor swarm in the same way.
If you observe early in the evening, before Leo rises, you will see meteors
from random directions because of the trajectory of each individual particle
is different.  You will be seeing the meteors as they run into the
atmosphere.  Once you are looking into the swarm head-on you will notice
most, but not all, will come from a single point in the sky because we will
be running into them.  It is similar to driving through the rain.  The rain
drops hit the windshield because we are moving into the rain.  However in
the case of the meteor swarm the meteors are moving MUCH faster than we are
so some hit the "side and back windows."  Those are the "random" shooting
stars that you see.

73/
Kevin, WB5RUE