Re: Amplifier, 2 M.

In a message dated 11/17/99 10:14:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
k5hv@hilconet.com writes:

> Who makes a good solid-state amplifier for 2 meters?  About 25 W. input to
>  get 150 W. output.

The "best" I'm aware of in solid state design is Teletec. Last time I looked
their 2M amp was 50 in 150 out. What makes them special is the use of
temperature compensated active bias on the output. This makes their amps very
linear (read clean). I use their 70 cm amp. 28 watts in = 150 watts out. They
have built in preamps. They aren't very good. Mine is bypassed. The only
other thing to be aware of is that it doesn't pass DC so you can't power a
preamp through the coax directly from the radio. No big deal, I just feed
voltage up some separate control lines I have up on the tower.

Very satisfied user here! Besides satellite use, it travels with me as
N1MJD/R used in ARRL VHF/UHF contests. Our team is consistantly ranked in the
top five in the nation. It stands up to the rigors of the road!

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649
Local Area Coordinator