Re: Meteor Scatter up and running.

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Michael P. Olbrisch wrote:

> ... I am running 160 watts into a 14 ELE KLM at 45 deg elevation,
> pointed E-NE from El Paso.  Unfortunately, my KAM+ will only beacon
> every minute.  My unproto is set to DM61rt,... on 147.585,

I think 45 deg is too high.  When you consider how thin the atmosphere is,
at 45 deg you are hitting very little of the "sky" where meteors may
occur.  If we assume ion trails at say 100 miles up, then your total comm
range may be only 200 miles to another 45 degree station at just the right
place...

However, if you beam at the horizon, you will be hitting over 600 miles of
"sky" and can communicate with someone else up to 1200 miles away.  The
amount of sky you are covering is increased by a great factor...

So I say, point at the horizon certainly less than 10 deg...

It is true, that if you have a low data rate requirment where you only
need to get one brief packet a day through to a station a few hundred
miles away then 45 degrees will have higher signals (shorter path)
(But at a much lower porbability of occurrence...)

de WB4APR, Bob