Just getting started again

Hello from KA9LRE - John
I am just getting back into ham radio and would like suggestions for
setting up for satellite communications.  I have been reading
"The Radio Amateur's Satellite Handbook".  My current equipment
resources are a Kenwood TH-G71 2M - 70CM HT and an Alinco DR-605T
2M-70CM mobile/base.  I am looking at analog and digital modes.  I'm a
little unsure of what may be the best way to go on several points:
                         1) For digital, what type of TNC should I get and do
I need PSK, etc.?
                         2) Should I get one of the "satellite" rigs (IC-821H
or FT-847) or an HF rig and use a converter?
                         3) Is a "home brew" antenna a good way to start?

THANKS!