Re: Finally Heard It! AO-27

Why do alot hams who want to do satellite work, insist on making it
difficult or near impossible on themselves in doing so?  It's Like: "Let's
see if I can Hear a satellite without an antenna and the rig turned off,
while I'm standing in my cellar.", and then they're disappointed when they
don't hear anything.

If a ham really wants to work the birds, they'll equip themselves properly
before atempting a contact. Anything else is a waste of time, (or possibly
a learning experience.)
With the proper setup, the successful satellite operator can come on this
list and say something like, "Yup, I made 5 QSO's on AO-27 Saturday...   up
yours"
;-)

Congrats on hearing AO-27 and it sounds like you know you need to improve
your setup for maximum enjoyment in working oscars.

At 11:19 AM 11/11/99 EST, Jacob Tennant wrote:
>I know it may not seem like much to some of you but I was able to hear the
>downlink for the first time today here in Morgantown,WV (FM09) but was
barely
>able to make out what was being said. Was only using a small gain 2/70
mobile
>whip on the mini-van and no pre-amp.
>
>Was able to make out someone talking about something about around or up the
>river, or something like that?
>
>My 10 year old daughter was so interested, after finally hearing some
voices,
>that she even put down her music CD player and listened!!!
>
>Things learned: MUST HAVE PREAMP, MUST HAVE PREAMP, MUST HAVE PREAMP!!!  Was
>using a Motorola mobile radio programmed for the 5 channel rx system and was
>only able to understand what was being said when it was on ch.3 only?
nothing