Re: Satellite WAS questions

 > Satellite folks:  I have collected all the QSLs needed for my satellite
 > Worked All States.  I'm filling out the form, and have a few questions.
 > Would somebody who already has Satellite WAS please answer?
 >
 > And thanks to all of you on the amsat-bb who gave me WAS contacts!
 >
 > 1.  The ARRL Web site talks about submitting the cards to a local "HF
 > Awards Manager."  But the satellite award is not HF.  Are the local ARRL
 > card checkers OK for a Satellite award, or is it better to send the QSLs
 > ARRL HQ?

I used the ARRL HQ because they are more likely to understand satellite
contacts
and their differences from HF.  They (HQ) see sat applications far more than
local awards manager, and it makes the "HF" issue question moot.

 > 2.  The "WAS Record Sheet" is HF-oriented, and has columns for Band and
 > Mode.  What I've done is put A, B, J, K or T in the "Band" column (with an
 > explanation of the actual uplink and downlink frequencies), CW or SSB in
 > the "Mode" column, and noted the satellite used in the blank column at the
 > right of the form.  Is this correct?

Sounds good to me. Actually overkill... Just "SAT" in band column for each
contact would probably be ok...  but more info will not hurt...

 > 3.  Some of the QSLs have A, B, K or J where "Mode" is indicated, instead
 > of CW or SSB.  I have checked these in my log and noted CW or SSB
 > accordingly.  Is this OK? (I'm not applying for a mode endorsement).

Since operating mode (CW/USB/digital) endorsement is not an issue and since
neither is
satellite mode (A,B,K,J) an issue, it's not important.  Plus, your log is
not necessary. Only the
application form MSD217 and your cards, sorted by state, $5.00 application
fee plus
return postage are needed.

 > 4.  RS-10, RS-12 and RS-13 can/could have more than one transponder mode
 > active at once.  On some of my RS-12 contacts, I was using Mode T or A
when
 > the other person was using Mode K.  My log shows a different Mode than the
 > QSL.  I've noted what my log says, in other words, what *I* used for the
 > QSO.  Is this an issue?

Nope, issue is that it was a 2 way satellite contact, regardless of
satellite mode(s).

 > 5.  Two of the QSLs do not specify *which* satellite was used, but do
 > clearly indicate "Satellite Operation" or "Thanks for first Sat QSO" in
 > addition to uplink and downlink frequencies. Again, I've noted the actual
 > satellite from my log.  This should be OK according to the rules, since
the
 > card confirms "contact on the "specialty mode/band." I just want to make
 > sure it's OK.

Which satellite has no bearing on the ARRL award. Only thing that matters is
the
card must show a 2 way contact with split satellite freq. pair (144/432,
etc.) or a satellite mode (J, A, etc)
or say "via satellite" or something like that.  Years ago the ARRL actually
actually required the card to
say "via satellite" or similar, but that rule was relaxed about 6 years ago
and now they recognize reasonable split freqs.,
valid satellite modes or statements saying via sat.

 > I'm probably worrying about nothing, but I just want to do everything
 > right.  The real world is dirtier than accountants would prefer  :-)

Be sure and send your cards registered mail. You don't want the postal
service to loose them!

73,

Dennis - N4NR
SAT WAS   #198