Finally Heard It! AO-27

I know it may not seem like much to some of you but I was able to hear the
downlink for the first time today here in Morgantown,WV (FM09) but was barely
able to make out what was being said. Was only using a small gain 2/70 mobile
whip on the mini-van and no pre-amp.

Was able to make out someone talking about something about around or up the
river, or something like that?

My 10 year old daughter was so interested, after finally hearing some voices,
that she even put down her music CD player and listened!!!

Things learned: MUST HAVE PREAMP, MUST HAVE PREAMP, MUST HAVE PREAMP!!!  Was
using a Motorola mobile radio programmed for the 5 channel rx system and was
only able to understand what was being said when it was on ch.3 only? nothing
readable on 1,2,4,5. Also, could use some warmer weather too...

Well I finally feel like I can get this satellite stuff working after many
tries with no success. Hopefully will have the uplink setup for tommorrows
passes and the weekend.

73's and thanks for the help to all
Jacob Tennant
KB8QIR (FM09ap)