Re: Project HAND

Richard,

Interesting idea, but for an astronaut deployed time limited mini-sat
I think it would serve better purpose to follow on with the sputnik
devices the french club launched off Mir. These were wonderful projects
we could go into the schools with and have the students get a taste of
using computers to track and hear a satellite. Packet buzzing and cryptic
printouts never seem to catch the kids imagination as does voice or SSTV.

I think your efforts would be well served to use these publicized EVA
launches as an opportunity to give students around the world an entrance
to the world of space, radio and satellites.

One week of another packet bird is a gift we give ourselves. One week
of orbits and computers and antennas and team work in the school yards
is a priceless gift hams can give this planets students. And one I feel
is worthy of Amsat-UK's efforts.

Al Emer, N2YAC

At 10:57 PM 11/4/99 GMT, you wrote:
>Project HAND:
>
>One of Amsat-UK's declared aims is the promotion and development of space
>satellites for amateur radio communication and associated experimental
>scientific or educational work.
>SNIP
>The University of Bristol's   hand
>deployed satellite platform. It is designed to be carried into orbit in the
>Space Shuttle's cabin and then deployed by an astronaut during an EVA.
>SNIP
>Current thinking envisages the use of a 2m or 70cm downlink which might use
>a terrestrial packet radio format
SNIP