Re: More 2.4 G

 > From:          Mike73@aol.com
 > Date:          Tue, 2 Nov 1999 19:43:12 EST
 > Subject:       [amsat-bb] More 2.4 G
 > To:            amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org

 > What are folks doing to protect their Drake converter against damage by
 > accidentally transmitting into it with their IF rig?? Suggestions welcomed.

Some of us simply unplug the microphone!

Seriously, you have to be careful.  Some radios like my Kenwood TR-751
key themselves for a couple of milliseconds when you turn them on!
Instant fried converter :-( !  I run mine through a coax relay with a delay circuit
on it.  When the radio is powered up, its connected to a dummy load.
After 1 second, it switches to the antenna/converters.

The PTT line of all of my radios is routed through my squencer box.  As is
the power for the converters.  Turn a converter on, and the PTT of the radio
connected to it is disabled.  Yes, I did drill a hole in the rear of every radio
I own to route the PTT lines in and out through a small connector.

 > 73,
 > Mike, N1JEZ

--73-- David WA0AUQ