Re: 24 gigs

In a message dated 11/1/99 2:31:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dguimon1@san.rr.com writes:

> Anyone have recent experience with receiving Oscar 11 at 2401.5?

Hi Dave,

Fired up the Drake 2880 today and monitored the 1908 UTC pass of UO-11. It's
there! My system consists of a Bob Myers 2.4G dish, Drake 2880 with standard
mods to output in the 2M band. This feeds a Yaesu 290R MKII 2M IF with
internal muTek preamp. I found my Drake has too much gain on 2M so I run
RG-58 down the tower (75') to the shack. Even with this cable I still insert
15 dB of pad to get the S meter on the 290 to read around S1. The pass was 57
degrees max today. At its highest (and closest) point, I was seeing almost
S4. I heard the beacon most of the way though the pass, only missing ~8
degrees near the horizon mostly due to trees. (Not all the leaves have come
down yet) I've decided to not add a 2.4G preamp ahead of the Drake. UO-11 is
_real_ weak. P3D should have a ton more signal so I may not need a preamp.
Time will tell. BTW, the doppler was 110 KHz!!! Keep your hand on the tuning
knob, or better yet, computer control the doppler.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649
Local Area Coordinator