From: Anthony J. Testa [mailto:ajtesta@juno.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 1999 10:18 PM
To: K3ROJAL@aol.com
Cc: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] No code

It is a known fact that learning the Morse code increases
a persons mental reflexes in other areas, especially music.  I say, make
it a
requirement for all amateurs to at least be able to send and receive 13
WPM.

Amen... I agree with this position, I am an educator and a licensed ham
for nearly ten years. It amazes me the minority of hams who want what the
majority of hams have earned through hard work, passion, pride, and
dedication. I watched 11 meters go down the drain because a generation of
radio enthusiasts who decided to assimilated "Smoking and the Bandit".
The 11 meter band was a great amateur band for DX.

Some time around in 1957, the FCC in their infinite wisdom wanted to have
a public commercial service band. The idea was  a good one... but not on
a HF freq. especially when the Sun Spot cycle is peaking out. VHF low or
high band could have been developed. Look at FRS band and how long it
took to develop that system and the prices are reasonable and being used
more and more.

The bottom line is you lower the standards in anything and you will have
poor quality equipment, operators, enforcement, and operation within the
spectrum.

Can you imagine electronics firms, automobile manufactures, medicine, and
education institutions reducing quality standards for misdirected
alternative purposes. What would happen to their business's and the
American publics perception of their products and service?

I say keep technical, operation, and equipment standards high. It than
becomes a discriminator for achievement and maintains the standards of
ethics, pride, enthusiasm, and operation paramount to the service.

Any reduction of standards will only translate into self destruction to
the service, the people in it, and the traditions that many worked so
hard to build over the 78 years of its history.

Don't expect something for nothing...there is no free lunch.
When you earn it... you learn it.....you take pride in it.

73's

Tony  KF2EZ
( A Pre Know-Code Operator: I earned it, learned,  it use it and proud of
it)

E-Mail:           ajtesta@juno.com
Binary Files:  atesta@aiusa.com
Web Page:    (147.105 repeater: http://www.aiusa.com/atesta)