Re: No code

Hi...I think it is a question of Moral Fiber and Discipline, once either of
these are compromised, then you are asking for degradation of the principles
of Amateur Radio. Code is not hard to learn, as hundreds of thousands of
Radio Operators will attest to.Regardless of what others might say about Code
being obsolete, that arguement could also be used against the majority of the
requirements that are part of becoming a licensed Amateur.Do I REALLY need to
know the maximum bandwidth of an A3 signal in the frequency range of 222.050
to 222.200 ??? Not likely, but I did have to know that as it was on the
regulations test. Do I REALLY need to know the difference between a Tunnel
Diode and a Zener Diode? In actual practise, No, but I did need to know that
as it was also part of the theory exam.Or how about the difference between an
AM receiver and an FM receiver. These are akin to the argument of, " Why do I
need to learn Algebra?" when all I'll ever be is a Mailman or Busdriver. You
all KNOW why. If you are willing to settle for less than a required standard
for ANY situation with pre-requisites, then you will not obtain the desired
goal. Do not expect the standard to be lowered because you think it is hard,
you should have the desire to succeed BECAUSE it is hard. Nothing in life
worth having comes easy to most of us, and in today's "World" of instant
gratification, it is increasingly important to have established standards
that require some effort to attain. Code is really not too hard to learn, I
know , I once thought I would never be licensed because of the code and how
big a roadblock I had made
it in my own mind.And that is all it was a Mental roadblock.2 weeks of
nightly code practice and I passed 12 WPM with no difficulty.It also gave me
a feeling of accomplishment that I cherish to this day.
Try as you might to make it out to be a discriminatory "Standard" for old
fogies who don't want to let anyone into their clique , you might do well to
understand that we did not establish that standard, but we sure had to live
up to it. Nor are we all a bunch of "Old Fogies" unless you consider 41 ,(in
my case) to be old.
Think of it like a drivers licence without having learned to parallel park,
you might never have to use it, but if you do need to and can't, keep on
driving....73 de Jordan VE2SWL/VE6...