11 meters and Morse code:

Jeff Johns wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Oct 1999 20:22:33 +0000, Margaret Leber <maggie@voicenet.com> wrote:
>
> > How much more usage would you see of HF--and how much bigger a
> > constituency would those bands therefore have--if Morse proficiency was
> > not a requirement
>
> There would be much more usage and it would end up sounding just like 11
> meters.

Jeff, I have to disagree. That's a canard I've heard trotted out way too
often. Morse does not make people either considerate or law-abiding.

And I'm not talking about making HF *easier* to get on, as such. I'm
talking about making the knowlege requirements to earn the privilege
make sense for something outside a museum.

I hold in my hands this evening a 1939 ARRL handbook. It's
funny...there's not one bit of nostalgia in it. What there *is* in it,
though, on nearly the very first page, is "The Amateur's Code" --written
in 1923. It's still in the 1999 edition, on the very same page. Theres a
number of Boy-scoutly virtues enshrined there.

"The Amateur is Gentlemanly. He never knowingly uses the air for his own
amusement in suh a way as to lessen the pleasure of others...."
"Loyal..." "Friendly..." "Balanced..." "Patriotic..." All very
admirable.

And you know what else? "The Amateur is Progressive. He keeps his
station abreast of science..."

The current public perception is so strong that amateur radio exists to
*preserve old technology* that there are distractor answers on the
current Novice exam elements that offer *that* as our reason for being.
People are *amazed* when I tell them I work through satellites, and that
*that* has something to with amateur radio.

People like doing work like Bob Bruninga are the best hope that "packet
radio"--and the amateur digital modes in general-- have to avoid sliding
into irrelevance. And amateur satellites are one of the most intersting
stories we have to tell the public as we enter the next cetntury.

But since you mention 11 meters, let me tell you: The problem with 11
meters isn't that there's no code. It's that there's no testing, no
licence, and no policing.

73 de ex-KPT4447, back before they gave up licencing all together and 11
meters *really* hit the toity.