Re: Chimney Mounting for sat antennas?

Scott:
I've used a chimney mount for several years.  My chimney is a large one, with
lot's of cross sectional area, so doesn't seem to have any problem with the
lateral loading.  I use 3 strap mounts several feet apart.  The pole is long
enough to do this and still have the antennas and feedlines clear the chimney
cap.

One problem I did have, I didn't like the way the pole wiggled around.  (1.5
inch TV mast, or something like that)  So, I got some aluminum angle stock, and
trussed it (like spreaders on stays on a sailboat) Tied the guys at the base of
the az rotor, out to the spreader, then back to the pole, about midway of the 3
chimney straps.  Made it very stable in the horizontal plane.  Still has some
rotational backlash when the az rotor starts or stops, but hasn't hurt accuracy
of tracking, and probably insulates the chimney some from the shock.  I
consider this satisfactory  (been up and working for years)

If I had it to do again in another place, I'd do it with a short tilt-over
tower, but the property here doesn't lend itself to it.  main reason, is that
I'm always tinkering, and get tired of dragging a ladder up to the roof . . .

Good luck with it!

73, Jim
wb4gcs@amsast.org